Temporary Lodging for Service Members Doesn’t Have to Be a Hassle

Service members, military families, and government employees have all been there. For some, a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) has entailed picking up everything and moving across the country to another military base. For others, Temporary Duty Orders (TDY) bring them to another city one weekend every month. Many General Schedule (GS) positions also involve travel on federal business.

The good news: A variety of government allowances exist to offset the cost of work-related travel and relocation. The Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE) partially reimburses military personnel for lodging and meal expenses incurred during the course of a move. The Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) partially reimburses personnel for lodging and meal expenses while in temporary housing at their new station. TDY Allowance can cover other expenses and close the gap for federal employees who aren’t service members….